Seventh Grade General Music
At CMS Seventh Graders have music class twice per 6 day cycle (48min classes). We learn to read, write, perform, and understand music in its many forms. Below is a list of the various units covered in Seventh Grade Music (in no particular order) and what the students will learn in each unit.
- African Drumming: We begin the year with a full class drumming piece. This allows us to create music right away and helps the class learn to work together with a new group of students.
- The History of American Music: From Spirituals to Dub-step, students will learn how American music evolved into what we have today. Units will include Spirituals, The Blues, Jazz, Rock and Roll, Hip-Hop and Modern music.
- Piano: Students will expand on the skills they learned in sixth grade and write bass lines and melodies on the classroom keyboards.
- Garageband: Students will use the music recording program "Garageband" to write a piece that will inspire a work of visual art that they will create in their Art class.
- Guitar: Students will learn how to play the Blues on the guitar and how to improvise a guitar solo. They will then write and perform a blues song for the rest of the class.